The Venezuelan gastronome reflected in his red book My Kitchen, in the manner of Caracas, this recipe with which you can prepare a delicious and very natural hot cocoa to drink.
At home you can prepare a delicious and very natural cup of hot cocoa from the seed with this recipe that the Venezuelan gastronome Armando Scannone reflected in his famous red book My Kitchen, the way of Caracas.
- ½ kilo of cocoa beans or about 4 cups
Preparation of cocoa
- On a metal tray, the cocoa beans are spread out in a layer and placed in the sun for several days until they are completely dry.
- The oven is preheated to 300 degrees.
- The tray is placed in the oven and baked for about 35 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the seeds inside for about 15 more minutes.
- They are removed from the oven and while still hot, the seeds are squeezed with the hands until the skin that covers them is completely removed.
- They are then finely ground with a machine to grind corn, very tight. About three cups of ground cocoa are obtained.
- Knead well and make balls of about 4 to 5 centimeters. They are placed on a tray to dry completely in the air, not in the sun. NOTE: some knead it with ground cinnamon and cloves and vanilla essence and even some flour.
Preparation of hot cocoa
To prepare the hot cocoa to drink, put on the fire to melt each ball in ½ cup of water. Then add approximately 1 ½ cups of milk, cinnamon sticks, spice cloves, vanilla essence and sugar to taste and boil for about 10 to 15 minutes, beating from time to time with a wooden grinder.