Also known as a shake or milkshake, this drink, very famous in the United States, but created in Barcelona, Spain, is the result of beating ice cream or milk with other ingredients.
Meringue, milkshake or milkshake, as this famous drink that results from beating ice cream or milk with other ingredients such as chocolate is usually called, seems not to have had its origin in the United States, a country where, along with hamburgers and fries, it was the queen of soda fountains in the sixties.
Although it began to become popular at the end of the 1910th century and the beginning of the XNUMXth, it was with the invention of the mixer, and its use for its preparation, long after XNUMX, that this preparation began to have a boom.
But it is in 1931 that this drink, as we enjoy it today, is created industrially by a family that owns a dairy farm in Barcelona, Spain, and which they called Cacaolat, later being imitated by other brands around the world.
And since in the supermarket we can find all the ingredients to make whatever we want at home, write down this recipe from the book ¡Viva el chocolate! of Nestle Savoy, so you can prepare this delicious chocolate and caramel meringue.
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1 milk cream
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 tablet of milk chocolate of 130 grams
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of crushed ice
- 1 cup of chocolate ice cream
- Cook the can of condensed milk (closed) in a pressure cooker for 1/2 hour. Remove from heat and let cool completely before opening.
- Open the can and measure out 3/4 cup of the cooked condensed milk and mix it into the cold heavy cream. Stir it a little and reserve this caramel in the fridge.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk with the milk chocolate bar until it dissolves completely. Let it rest and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the milk with the chocolate, the vanilla, the ice and the chocolate ice cream in the blender and process them until the ice has been completely crushed.
- Serve a portion of caramel in the bottom of each glass and pour the meringue until the glass is full.
- Decorate with pieces of the milk chocolate bar.