This delicious combination of sweet flavors, taken from Armando Scannone's blue book, will suit you perfectly by following his famous method step by step, which makes it impossible not to look good on you.
As chocolate could not be missing from the hundreds of recipes of desserts "in the manner of Caracas", that the late Venezuelan gastronome Armando Scannone rescued, reworked and captured for eternity in his famous books, red and blue, My Kitchen, at Puro Chocolate we decided to share with you one of his most delicious sweet preparations where this ingredient from the cacao, and that following her instructions to the letter will make it look as if a pastry chef had done it.
At room temperature you need:
- 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour to butter and flour a mold 29 centimeters in diameter by 8 centimeters high
- 200 grams of dark chocolate
- 200 grams of salted butter
- 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
- 280 grams of sugars
- 5 egg yellows
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 230 grams of flour
- 20 grams of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Egg whites 5
For the orange marmalade
- 3 cashier or acid oranges
- 1 sweet orange for juice
- 1 lemon
For the cover
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 75 grams of semisweet chocolate (about 4 bars)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- The oven is preheated to 350° F. The mold is buttered and floured, eliminating the excess.
- In a pot in a bain-marie, over low heat, melt the chocolate, stirring it with a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter and salt and beat until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue beating until well blended, about 2 more minutes. Always beating, add the egg yellows one by one, the already cold melted chocolate and beat for about 2 more minutes.
- Outside the blender, with a wooden spoon, alternately mix the orange juice and the flour, ending with the flour that has been sifted with the cocoa powder, the baking powder and the baking soda. Finally, the egg whites are mixed in parts and an enveloping movement, which have previously been beaten until they form stiff peaks.
- Pour the mixture into the mould, smoothing it out with small movements. Put the mold in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes or until a needle inserted comes out dry. Let it rest for 5 minutes, remove the cake from the mold and put it on a wire rack to let it cool for a few hours or until the next day.
- The oranges and the lemon are washed and dried. They are cut into very fine wheels, separating the seeds that are used later and preserving all the juice. It is weighed and for each kilo of chopped fruit, 1 1/4 liters of water are added and left in a glass container in a cool, covered place until the next day. The seeds are wrapped in cheesecloth and left together with the fruit and water.
- In a pot, cook the fruit in the same water with the seeds, until it softens. Cover and cook over high heat for 1/2 hour. The seeds are removed. It is removed from the heat, allowed to cool and everything is weighed together, including the water and for each kilo of weight, 1 1/4 kilo of sugar is added.
- Bring to a boil in a pot on the fire and cook for 15 to 17 minutes or until it is ready, that is, when a few drops fall from a wooden spoon, they take time to fall. At the end, two drops are formed at the same time, they join to form a single one that forms a small strand when it falls. Remove from heat and immediately pour into a sterilized jar. Let cool, cover and store in the fridge.
- A visible vertical cut is made on the side of the cake, which will serve as a guide when assembling the cake layers. The cake is cut horizontally into as many layers as possible and set aside. On a flat surface, the cake is assembled again, filling each of the layers with the jam until finished.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream without boiling. Remove from the heat and add to the chocolate, leave for two minutes until it melts and stir vigorously. Add the sugar and corn syrup and without stopping stirring, add the vanilla.
- The cake is placed on a rack and is on a tray. The cake is covered on top and on the sides with a thin layer of the prepared cover so that it serves as a seal when applying the final cover and it is smoother and brighter. From about 20 centimeters high, the cover is slowly dropped on the cake so that it slides and covers the cake on top and on the sides without using a spatula unless it is necessary to perfect a point on the sides, but never on top.
- After about two minutes and with the help of two large spatulas, carefully transfer the cake to the flat serving tray. Put the cake in the freezer for about 5 minutes and then put it in the fridge until serving time.